You cannot resist this recipe for butternut pumpkin pie cupcakes with a butternut pumpkin puree cream cheese cinnamon icing. Half healthy, half decadent, all delicious.
Dense, moist, and not terribly sweet, pumpkin cupcakes aren’t part of your average birthday vanilla gang (not that there’s anything wrong with that). These are like banana bread with a smooth buttery, compact constancy.
The icing actually has butternut in it which might make you feel better about the other ingredients. Let it.
For the butternut puree just get 1 or two butternut add a little bit of water, add a couple of tablespoons of sugar to the pot and reduce down until it’s soft and creamy. From there use a Bamix or blender to get it smooth.
Cooking time: 20 min prep 20 min baking
butternut puree takes an additional hour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup treacle sugar (brown sugar in North America)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp vanilla
- 2 cups butternut pumpkin or pumpkin puree
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2.5 cups flour
- 1 cup butternut or pumpkin puree
- 1 cup butter
- 230 g or just less than 1 cup cream cheese
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 6 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180˚C/ 375˚F
- Cream sugars and butter together
- Add eggs and mix in
- Add vanilla
- Add butternut pumpkin puree
- In a separate bowl mix the flour, baking powder, nutmeg and cinnamon
- Add the flour to the sugar, butter, mix slowly and be sure all the clumps and lumps are gone
- Scoop 2 large spoonfuls into each cup.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes with the fan and 25 minutes without, checking at 10 minutes by shaking the tray and seeing how much the cupcakes jiggle.
- Remove and let cool
- Mix all the ingredients together slowly with a beater
- After the cupcakes are cooled add icing and then chocolate or orange sprinkles on top