estNostalgic Thanksgiving with a festive blueberry and strawberry pie recipe. The living abroad homesick cure.
Thanksgiving talk is for another time, this is all about pie.
Recipe: Blueberry and strawberry pie
Cooking: Prep – 20 minutes, Cooking 40-55 minutes
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 700g strawberries (about 3 heaping cups halved)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 egg (optional for egg wash)
- 1 cup butter
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 180˚C/375˚F
- Make bottom pastry dough (see below) or use store-bought basic short crust or any crust you prefer.
- Roll out the bottom dough to fit into the pan and up the sides of the pan.
- Bake in the oven for 5-7 minutes or until a very light golden brown.
- While the crust is cooking cut strawberries in half.
- Add 1/2 cup of sugar to the berries, the juice of 1/2 lemon, and 2 tablespoons of flour, and toss lightly.
- Let pastry cool for a minute or two and place the strawberry blueberry mix into the pan just below the edges of the side adding two, drizzle softly melted butter throughout the top of the pie.
- Roll out the other top pastry dough (see below) and place it on top. If it’s fragile you can place pieces over most of the pie.
- If there are no holes (because you are a perfect pastry roller) slice a few into the top pastry for the pie to breathe while cooking.
- Egg wash the pastry by cracking and beating an egg, using a brush to thinly coat the top pastry with wash.
- Cook for 30 minutes on the bottom rack and another 15 – 20 minutes on the top, or until golden brown.
- Let cool for 30 minutes.
- Bottom pastry: Cut room temperature butter into small cubes, add 1/2 cup of butter and 1 cup of flour and mix gently. Once the dough starts to pull together add 1 cold tablespoon of water, which should make the dough more pliable. If it’s still too crumbly you can add a drop more water until it’s a bit more sticky but should not be sticking to your hands.
- Top pastry: Same method as above except use 1/2 cup of flour and 1/2 cup of icing sugar. This dough will be slightly easier to maneuver.
For more foodventures follow @MilkandCookieSA on twitter.