For more foodventures follow @MilkandCookieSA on twitter.
Believe it or not in my previous food life, I was a vegetarian ( a pescatarian for most of those years, I ate fish). Learned myself how to make some good homemade vegetarian burgers after eating a lot of mushy processed junk, and so here is an easy step-by-step photo recipe of how to make a killer veggie burger patty.
Recipe: Veggie burger patty
Cooking time: 30 minutes prep, 1 hour cooking time
- 1 whole pepper (green, red, or yellow) | diced
- 2 ears of corn
- 1 tbsp of cracked salt
- 1/2 tbsp of pepper
- 1 can whole chickpeas | drained
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp sriracha (or chutney/hot sauce)
- 2 blocks of feta cheese about 3/4 cup crumbled
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 whole onion | chopped & cooked
- olive oil
- fresh basil
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- boil water and soak the corn while you chop up other vegetables
- chop, pepper, basil, onion
- cut off the corn kernels
- drain chickpeas well and make into a chunky paste
- fry onion adding salt and pepper to taste (add any seasoning you normally like on your onions)
- add corn, pepper, onion, basil to the chickpeas paste
- toss together lightly
- add 2 cups of cooked and cooled rice and toss together lightly
- add bread crumbs 1/2 cup at a time, mixing in slowly so not to mush the other ingredients
- add feta
- add 2 eggs and mix in
- take peach sized balls and flatten them to about 2cm – 3cm thick
- add olive oil (or any oil) to pan at a medium heat
- drop veggie burger patties onto hot pan and cook on each side for 8-10 minutes until the outside is crispy
*** delicately flip and move patties while they are still hot
Start by boiling water and pouring over the corn.
Chop up the veggies and make a paste out of the chickpeas, but do not mush.
Fry up the onion with whatever seasoning you usually like to add.
Toss chopped vegetables (corn, pepper, basil, and onion).
Add sriracha or chutney or hot sauce.
Add 2 cups of cooked rice and toss lightly.
Add 2 cups of bread crumbs stirring in 1/2 cup at a time.
Then crumble and add the feta. Add 2 eggs and mix. .
Press out into 2-3cm patties.
Get the pan hot at a medium heat.
Cook on each side for 7-10 minutes.
Add to bread, roll, salad, and top with dressing.