Quiche can be made with any ingredient as long as it has a crust, eggs, milk, and cheese. It’s a very easy base that caters for any filling your little food loving heart desires. When everyone is saying you are an unbelievable cook, you’ll know all you did was assemble, and that cheese and eggs together is always a winning combo.
The goat cheese in this little delicious one stop meal is what really gave it that nice creamy tangy flavor, adding roast veggies was just a nice crunch bonus.
Total Cooking Time: 1 hr
Servings: 8 (or 4 depending….)
- 3 cups mushrooms quartered
- 2 (or more) onions in rings
- 1 tablespoon of fresh chopped garlic (or more)
- 1/2 cup of cubed cheddar cheese (the sharper the better)
- 1/2 cup of feta (goat or cow)
- 4 baby potatoes chopped
- 1 sweet potato chopped
- 1/4 – 1/2 butternut (depending on size…. just go with about 1-2 cups chopped)
- 3 eggs (2 eggs + 1 egg white)
- 1 cup milk (skim – full cream…. the fattier the milk the creamier the quiche)
- Salt & pepper to taste
Pre-heat oven to 360F or 170C
- Cook onions until nearly clear
- Add mushrooms and cover until veggies sweat
- Once juicy take the lid off and let the juice cook out
- Add cheese and let sit until added to crust (save a bit for the top of the quiche)
- Chop up veggies (minus mushrooms)
- Drizzle oil (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat for 30 minutes or until soft inside and a bit crusty outside
- Roll dough out and place into pan ( preheating the pastry crust is key to preventing that gooey bottom)
- Use another smaller tin or tinfoil to hold down the pastry in place
- Place rice or beans onto the tinfoil (this keeps some weight on the crust and keeps it shape)
- Heat until light (very light) brown
- Take off tinfoil and heat up crust again for another few minutes until bottom gets light brown
You have a few options here for the crust. You could make your crust or buy it from the grocery store. I generally make it, but every once in a while I buy the already made. If you have the time, go for homemade.
Check out a basic pastry crust recipe to make your own.
I am horrible at rolling out dough, as seen from the photo below.
- Beat milk and eggs together
- Add veggies to crust
- Add egg mix
- Add left over cheese
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown
- Let cool for 15 minutes